Friday 11 March 2011

Fish pie ... an easy success

It's not difficult to confuse me. I'm easily distracted. Which is why I cook in silence, I am concentrating, a lot. I'm also probably hungry so feeling quite bad tempered.

Last night I whipped up an easy fish pie. There had been bechamel sauce on offer at Sainsbury's (21p - bargain!) that needed to be eaten. So I poured the sauce into a dish (added a little milk, lemon juice, extra salt and pepper), diced up the fish (smoked cod loin and a salmon fillet) and whacked it in a preheated (200 degrees) oven whilst I diced up potatoes for the mash topping. Whilst the potatoes bubbled merrily I grated some carrot and apple and poured over the lemon juice and sugar mix for my salad, and cut up some carrot sticks for the b-friend's boiled carrots. While the carrots bubbled I mashed potatoes (plenty of butter, a splash of milk, salt & pepper) which I then spooned over the top of the fish & sauce. The fish pie went straight back into the oven on a higher heat and I prepped a handful of asparagus and chucked them into a saucepan for a few minutes (when I drained them I put them back onto the heat with some butter and lemon).

This meal is pretty much how I do all my cooking - it's a bit haphazard and rather dependent on what was available on offer at the supermarket. I'm also not a big user of measurements and prefer to use terms like "when it's thin or thick enough", "when it feels right" or of course "use enough for x people". Those instructions are pretty useless unless you've made the dish before.

Tuesday was pancake day and year I was keen to try my hand not only at sweet pancakes but also at galettes ... the savoury buckwheat version. I remember eating these in France with much gusto with a cheese filling if memory serves. Naturally as with so many good intentions this did not transpire and we just gorged on pancakes with lovely unhealthy fillings (lemon and sugar for him bananas and nutella for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment